Promotion is telling you target audience about your event in an interesting, precise and informative way. It's a nice challenging isn't it? To make it a little extra spicy you also have to be aware of the timing of your promotion. The following guide is not universal but feel free to take what you can use.
2 - 3 months before the event.
- If you have the date, interesting info about the content and maybe a price, then you can put up a Facebook message, link to a Facebook event and the event on Platform4.dk
2 - 1 months before the event.
- If you haven't done the first one, then set it up and post an update once or twice a week - remember to post only interesting stuff or else you'll risk spaming people.
1 month before the event.
- If you have flyers and/or posters you should distributed it to places where you think your target audience is. Don't waste money and time on just spreading it randomly around. If you have interesting news about the event then remember to update it on Facebook and platform4.dk
On line/off line advertising.
- If you are planning advertising then this could be a good time to do it. If you have a lot of money, then you can of course start earlier. Remember advertising is mostly expensive, so be sure to try and aim it at your target audience and be in good time to make the ad and place the order at the media where you want the ad to be displayed.
14. days before the event.
- If you are planning to send out a press release then this would be a good time to do it. Follow up on the release a few days after to the media that you really would like to cover your event. More about this under "Press release".
On line posts: As already stated, be sure to make interesting content and not fire it all away at once, try to stretch it so the target audience is kept interested. Basicly a post can contain everything from text, graphics, photos, sound, music and video what every you can produce and still being interesting and relevant. With an average smart phone you can make small videos with updates, interviews and record sound and images. Be sure to have the rights to the material and not violating others artistic copyright. Share your content on as many social/on line platforms as you like and most importantly have time to do. Facebook is the most common used but far from the only one and it's up to you to choose.
14 - 1 day before the event.
- Follow up on relevant platforms on line and off line fx posters, journalists, maybe ads etc.
Important facts about almost any event: Title, time, place, price, what (e.g. concert) who (e.g. artist), link to more info, who is making the event and maybe collaborators and sponsors.
Write a one page (A4) press release about the event, put the most important and interesting stuff about the event in the top and then work your way down to the more general facts in the bottom. The important thing in a press release is that you tell the interesting angle/story of your event and focus on a few things rather than trying to tell to much that will confuse the reader. Have others read it and make suggestions. Make sure the reader is your target audience. In general thing about your reader as a interested audience rather than a customer, which means don't make it into a sales letter. Focus on the story and brilliance about the event.
When you have this one page you can use the same text a lot of places to describe the event and don't have to do it from the start every time. Maybe you make some small adjustments here and there. This text will also be used for platform4.dk
When it's time to send out the press release you can update it with the newest info and send it to fx: kristian(@)nitusind.nu, aalborg(@)nordjyske.dk, advice(@)advice.dk, redaktion(@)tv2nord.dk, info(@)visitaalborg.com, info(@)positivemedier.dk
Visual and audio materials
Gather all relevant materials that will represent your event in an interesting way and be creative about it or find people that can help you with this. It's generally a good idea to send fx pictures out with the press release because they might bring it along with your story.
Here you can easily make an event or arrange with Platform4 to set it up. If you have a page for your event, then update that once in a while, some also use their personal profile to promote the event.
Posters and flyers
Make it simple and eye catching and be sure to make a red tread through your image materials so people will easily recognize when they see communication for your event. Fx use the same poster/flyer image on Facebook and platform4.dk - this also saves you time. Remember to treble check the text with facts about the event because once the printing starts.... yes, you know...
There are also lots of other stuff you can do but we hope this is helpful for you and thanks for reading and making events with super promotion at Platform4.